Sheen Center Catholic Artist Residency:
With our resident artist program we seek to give opportunity to emerging or mid-career Catholic artists whose work supports the Sheen Center’s mission. The resident artist opportunity will allow for a Catholic artist to live in New York City for 2-4 months. While in New York they will be introduced to artists working at The Sheen Center, as well as other New York City artists working within their field.
This is an opportunity specifically for a Catholic artist who feels their work would benefit significantly from a 2-4 month period in New York. The only purpose of the residency period is to further the artist’s career or artistic output in a way consistent with each artist’s current trajectory. While the residency is specifically aimed at supporting the growth of Catholic artists, non-Catholic artists whose work is strongly in line with The Sheen Center’s mission may also be considered.
Included in the residency:
- Housing in downtown Manhattan at The Sheen Center (including a shared kitchen space)
- Partially-subsidized workspace (depending on artist medium)
- Invitations/Tickets to Sheen Center events when available
- Showcase opportunity at The Sheen Center (depending on artist medium and stated goals)
- Direct access to Sheen Center artistic staff
This residency does not include board, travel expenses or stipend.
Applications for the Sheen Center residency are accepted year-round, and are reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your application at least 6 months before you would like to begin your residency. Applications for 2017 are now closed. Applications are welcome for residencies beginning in January 2018 or later.
In order to apply please include:
- COVER LETTER
- ARTIST STATEMENT (no more than 2 pages)
- STATEMENT OF INTENT (2-4 pages) The statement of intent should include how you envision using your 2-4 months at The Sheen Center, and how this will further your artistic goals. Please include discussion of the Sheen Center mission, how your faith informs your work, and what benefit 2-4 months in New York City would have on your work as an artist right now. Please also include the length of residency for which you are applying, as well a date range within which you would be available to carry out the residency.
- BRIEF WORK SAMPLE Please include 1-3 brief samples of artistic work (e.g., photos of artwork, sample chapter, video trailer).
- PASTORAL REFERENCE Please include a letter from your pastor, chaplain, spiritual director, or similar figure. The letter should testify to your participation in the life of the Church. It does NOT need to include an assessment of your artistic work.
Please submit via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org